NOTE: The BEDFORD MUSEUM & GENEALOGICAL LIBRARY is a separate organization that may be found at: bedfordvamuseum.org.
BGSI (Bedford Genealogical Society, Inc.) is comprised of individuals who wish to preserve the family histories of people who have lived in this county and the surrounding areas. Our members reside in Bedford County, as well as the Commonwealth of Virginia and throughout the United States. Both the organization and its members work together to promote the gathering and sharing of accurate genealogical information to all interested persons at the lowest possible cost. The Society belongs to the Federation of Genealogical Societies and the Virginia Genealogical Society.
Bedford County was established by European Americans on December 13, 1753 from parts of Lunenburg County. Later in 1756, a portion of Albemarle County lying south of the James River was added. The county is named for John Russell, the fourth Duke of Bedford, who was a Secretary of State of Great Britain. In 1782, Campbell County was formed from eastern Bedford County and the county seat was moved from New London to Liberty (now Bedford). Also in 1786, the portion of Bedford County south of the Staunton (Roanoke) River was taken with part of Henry County to form Franklin County.
The town of Bedford became an independent city in 1968, and remained the county seat. On September 14, 2011, the Bedford City Council voted to transition into a town, ending its independent city status. The supervisors of Bedford County also voted to accept the town of Bedford as part of the county when it loses city status. The town of Bedford once more became part of Bedford County on July 1, 2013.